Monday, October 19, 2009

An apartment at the 11th hour

Last Monday I realized I should probably double check with the owner of my pensione to make sure I could stay for another week while I continued my apt search. Seeing as how we discussed this and that the place had been empty for the past week I assumed there would be a room available for me. Nope. She was booked solid from Friday-Monday so I needed to find another place to go ASAP. She offered for me to come back Tuesday, paying 25 Euros/night for my room which is awesome, but would add up really quick. Plus without the benefit of internet or a kitchen, it just didn’t seem worth it. So I called up a guy who’s apt I’d gone to see a week prior (I had already told him I wouldn’t take it, sure I would find something halfway decent instead) and asked him if the room was still available. The apt was decent but the neighborhood was rundown and dirty and way further out of the center than I wanted to live. But by that point I was desperate with few options. Thankfully the room was still free and he was nice enough to let me move in on Friday.


On my first night in the new apt I decided to check out the so-called amazing San Lorenzo nightlife. I invited my new friend Ben (who lives just up the street but on the other side of the “Wall”, within the center of Rome) to come with me. We started out with dinner at Formula Uno, the popular pizzeria down the street from my apt, around 9pm (it was really good but no Da Michele!).



We finished dinner around 11pm and wandered the streets in search of a cool bar to hang out at. After walking around for 10 minutes without finding a decent place to go, Ben started cracking jokes about the neighborhood being full of zombies—he was only half joking. Literally everyone looked like they were strung out and just a little bit off. The streets were pretty empty but considering it was Friday night we figured we were just too early for the party kids. Finally we found this place called Rive Gauche. Its a big bar set up to look like a Parisian cafĂ© with dim lighting, iconic French posters and a sea of small tables. And the crowd was (thankfully) a little older. It was packed by the time we arrived (around 11:30pm) but we were able to snatch the last table. We hung out there until about 12:30am and Ben offered to walk me home, saying he wouldn’t recommend my walking alone. By that time the streets were packed with people (guess a night out starts at 1am round here). We passed two prostitutes who propositioned Ben (no joke), beggars, homeless people and drunken minors. Lovely.

San Lorenzo is home to La Sapienza University (the biggest in Rome) so the median age is about 23 and the kids all have this punk rock/grunge thing going on. Everyone stays in the neighborhood for everything—lunch, dinner, nightlife, everything... but for those of us who want to be amongst humans, you have to cross into the “city center” which involves walking through a long scary underpass and walking 10 minutes around the train station. And everyone knows the train station is the last place you want to be in a European city, especially at night (the other day my Italian friend cautioned me against rapists who apparently hang out there. Great).

Now I don’t know if I’m hating on San Lorenzo simply because I’m being stubborn and am determined not to like this neighborhood but I’ve come to the conclusion that it sucks—as does the hyped-up nightlife. The only plus side is that since this area is full of students, all the bars, restaurants and even the supermarkets are pretty cheap (there, a little positivity).

I came to Rome for the beauty of the city. I wanted to walk out of my front door and discover neighborhood tratorrias tucked into cute little side streets around the corner from my apt. I wanted to open my window to the sound of church bells and cars driving along cobblestone streets. I wanted to know the freedom of living in a city where you're actually able to walk everywhere. I didn’t want to have to check my watch every 5 minutes when I’m out with friends, making sure I leave early enough to catch the last bus back home (or forgo that last drink or two so I can afford the 15 Euro taxi ride back home). I didn’t want to worry about my safety walking down the street. Unfortunately this apt situation puts a damper on my experience here. But what I try to remember is that when I moved to Paris in 2007 I ended up in a pretty sh*tty neighborhood too. And if I recall how that story went, I'm destined to find a great apt in a fabulous neighborhood really soon. So the hunt is on again. At least this time I don’t have the threat of looming homelessness to make things even more desperate.

9 comments:

  1. What would you recommend doing in Rome during a 3-day weekend? My husband and I are going to Rome on Thursday night and we'll of course visit the main sites ( Colliseum, Vatican, etc) but perhaps you have a non-touristy recommendation (including restauarants)?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I don't know Rome all that well yet, I've only been here for about 3 weeks. But here are some of the places I've really been enjoying:

    Monti has become one of my favorite neighborhoods (near Metro Cavour and the Coliseum). Its just really cool and laid back and hip... lots of art galleries and funky shops and little cafes. There's a great restaurant called La Carbonara (214 Via Panisperna). Its cosy, the food is yummy and the waiters are really nice. You may want to call for a reservation for dinner (they're usually packed). Afterwards you can walk down the street to Tre Scalini for drinks. In nice weather everyone stands outside with their drinks and its just really fun, hanging out with the locals. Plus drinks are ridiculously cheap (a small carafe of wine starts at 2 euros). There's also great gelato places here (which you must have every day!).

    Gusto is another cute restaurant (Piazza Augusto Imperatore, 7), I'm having my birthday dinner there. They also have a wine bar for aperitivo and live music. You have to take advantage of the aperitivo they have all over the city. Its happy hour with free food-- brilliant! My favorite one so far was at Obika, a mozzarella bar (all kinds of mozzarella creations and lots of prosciutto). I usually go to the one downstairs from my school (Piazza di Firenze) but there's also one in Campo di Fiori, more central but a lot more packed/touristy. Aperitivo usually starts around 7pm.

    As for sights, the Vatican was my favorite. I could spend all day there, the church is amazing. Also walking along via del Corso, where all the shops are is interesting. Hang out in Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori at night, its a crazy scene. Of course the Trevi Fountain (again better at night). A walk around Trastevere is a must-- stop in one of the little sandwich shops for lunch... you select your bread and just point to the fillings you want to add in. Its cheap and funny (not speaking the language makes it interesting) and delicious. And just getting lost in the tiny little backstreets of Rome is fun. Rome is great b/c you can walk everywhere... so just pack comfy sneakers and wander around.

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy,

    I would like to pick your brain (if you don't mind). It might be a pretty lengthy email, though. If it's okay can you drop me a line at: loveselfly@gmail.com

    Thanks!
    -Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things start looking up in terms of the apt soon. Having a living space you love is almost imperative to happiness..in my opinion. Good luck and try to enjoy the small things in the interim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Stacy,

    Enjoy your time there. I definitely feel your pain about where you want to live verses where you actually live. It will get better. I have to say...They drink beer like that in Italy! That Beer looks like it belongs in Germany LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true rhonalala-- I'm trying to stay positive but its hard when you hate where you live!

    DeVon-Thanks. And I thought the same thing about the beer! I was shocked when he brought out that huge jug... I did drink every bit of it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you that things turned out okay! I'm sure you'll find something more pleasing very soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy, I hope you find an apartment you like soon.

    I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read about the incident with the dogs on your trip to Greece with B months ago (from your old blog). Are you very sure you want to give up on the relationship with B? Could it be that God blocked both of you from having serious romances until you met in your twenties to give you a sign that B is going to be the love of your life? True love isn’t that easy to find, so when you find it, it’s best to grab it and work on refining the relationship as much as you can. You wrote on your other blog that one of the reasons B couldn’t be The One is that the two of you have a major disconnect on religious issues. Could you work on trying to persuade him to your way of thinking? There’s a book called “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist” that makes an evidence-based case for why a person should be a Christian. Even if B is not an atheist and is affiliated with a non-Christian religion (or considers himself a non-practicing Christian), the book can still help him. “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist” is written by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek.

    Other books you may be interested in are: The Case for Christ, The Case for the Real Jesus, The Case for Faith, The Case for the Creator (all 4 books are by Lee Strobel) and The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona. I suggest that before giving any of these books to B, you read it first, so the two of you can discuss it. Another thing is that I’ve found that as I’m evangelizing to someone, I’m challenged to a deeper walk with Christ along the way—so fasten your seat belt. Have you found a good Bible-believing church in Italy yet? Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for these books suggestions! I'll definitely check them out... at the very least, they'll make for nice presents for B for his new journey. Not sure what the future holds for us at this point... but I'm certain everything will work out as it should :)
    And still looking for a home church in Italy! Apparently there aren't too many English speaking churches here... I'll have to explore!
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete