Wednesday, November 18, 2009

RANT

Before I mention my trip to Amsterdam I just need to rant about my roommate for a bit or I may be driven to do something irrational...

Last night around 11pm I come home after a looong day of traveling. I’m exhausted and have the beginnings of a cold so I’m feeling pretty crummy, I’m just glad to be back in Rome and ready to climb into bed. As I walk around the front of the building I notice that the lights are off in the apt so I’m even more excited—great, my roommate isn’t home so I’ll have the place to myself. I unlock the front door and what greets me? An overwhelming stench of stale cigarettes and hot garbage that nearly knocks me right over. And it didn’t help that he left the heat on (meanwhile its 65 degrees outside), just to cook everything to the right level of putridness. I put my suitcase and bags in my room and went to investigate.

When I left for Amsterdam last week I said I would not throw out the trash or do the dishes this time. No matter that I use maybe one plate and two cups per day, I’m always the one doing the dishes. And the trash was just about full when I left so I was sure that by the time I got back, Asshole (that’s my roommate’s new name) would have been forced to clean up a bit. The dumpster is RIGHT in front of the building, its not that difficult. But no. Of course not. When I opened the cabinet the can is literally overflowing with garbage (I hate when people leave trash teetering on top of the pile. Its obviously full! Just throw it out!). Then I look at the sink and its full of dirty dishes (one of which is a cup of milk which has turned bad, adding to the delicious smell). Then I notice that the same ashtray full of cigarette butts and joints (can I call the police and get him arrested?) is STILL on the kitchen table. Then I notice a pot on the stove. I lift the lid and what do I find? Something that I imagine used to be tomato sauce is now a pot full of mold! MOLD for goodness sake! That was the absolute last freakin straw. All I was thinking was that this motherfu*ker better be murdered in his bed, there is no other excuse for the place to look like this (I actually went to check. No body).

But wait, it gets better. After the assault in the kitchen I escaped to my room, determined to leave everything exactly as it was and give him a piece of my mind when he got home... never mind that he doesn't speak English. Later I went to the bathroom and of course he had left the seat up… fine. I can deal with that 3 times a day. But then I went to use the toilet and stopped dead in my tracks. There was literally FECES smeared on the toilet seat. This disgusting, stupid, no-good, cheating, lazy, nasty ass piece of SH*T! I cannot and will not.

Do people seriously live like this??! I am not a clean freak by any means. I don’t mind leaving dishes in the sink for a day or two, my clothes may be strewn around my room from time to time, that sort of thing. But to live with someone who NEVER cleans up after himself? Who lets things get so bad that you’re literally gagging from the smell? I have to close his bedroom door when I go past b/c it smells so bad in there. I don’t know if it’s the Italian male thing and he thinks that since there’s a woman in the house, he doesn’t have to clean up after himself. I know he just moved in recently (the guy I’m renting the room from only said by way of an explanation, “He’s not the most interesting roommate but he’s never home so that’s good”) and I don't know what his level of cleaning participation was before I arrived but this is downright ridiculous.

Now you know homeboy and I already had some issues but this just pushed me over the edge. I planned to put the bag of trash in his bedroom, along with the pot of mold but my mom talked me out of it—she said, “You don’t know him. He could be crazy and kill you for doing something like that.” I guess she’s right. So I left the pot of mold on the stove (I cannot even look at that thing, let alone touch it. Just the thought makes my stomach queasy), threw out the trash, washed the dishes and opened the windows to air the place out. But would it be so wrong if I cleaned the toilet seat with his toothbrush?

16 comments:

  1. That fucker is DISGUSTING with a capital D!! I'm hoping you said something to his nasty self. That is damn ridiculous. I wouldn't have even cleaned it up, to be honest. What the heck is this guy's problem? Fecal matter on the darn toilet seat??

    I think I just vomited a little in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so nasty! I don't blame you for cleaning it up, I don't think I would have been able to stand the smell. However you know, that since you cleaned it up, he most likely will do it again! Give that toilet a scrub with his brush, he seems to not respect his roommates.

    You need to get someone to cuss him out in Italian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of filth yuck thats not right i am a new reader of your blog love it you write so intrestingy i am a 21 yr old from london who will be moving to paris next year when i finish uni i hope to have as much fun as you had anyway to go back to the room mate you need to let him know that he is a filthy pig i am a clean freak and i would go crazy keep up the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys... you feel my pain. The unfortunate part is that I have guests coming on Friday so I HAVE to clean the place up. He's going to walk into a spotless apt (when he finally gets back from wherever the heck he is) and not even think twice about it. He's probably thinking its my "job" to clean up after him. If my friends weren't coming I would pack a bag and get the heck out of here for a few more days-- and let him enjoy the bugs and rodents that are sure to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait- is this the Cheater? How is he able to get girls in his room? I wouldn't be able to touch anyone with a room that smelled so funky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh girl, you need to find a new place to live!! Does he have no shame?? That is so gross and unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would see no issue with cleaning the toilet with his tooth brush, just don't use any disinfectant!!! Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ewwww... funk + warm air = major no no!
    you are a better person than I am, I would have straight poured everything on his funky ass bed (doubt he would notice anyway).
    Stay strong girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YFF-- yep The Cheater aka The Asshole! lol I don't understand it myself
    Marisa-- I seriously do... I'm on the hunt!
    Irie-- lol only my mama kept me from throwing all that stuff in his room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The question is why do YOU put up with this pig or euro-trash? I would have cancelled my friend's visit and I would have told them why. Find a new apt. and do not let him know you are hunting. Who knows what they piece of trash is capable of doing? Actually, I would be kind of scare of living with someone like him. Where did you met him?
    Truth be told...he is doing these things to you on purpose.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. correction...Who knows what this piece of trash is capable of doing?

    Love yourself enough NOT to put up with such igorance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gross. Where is this man from? The Italian men I know are anal about neatness and their places are spotless. Either they clean it themselves or have a cleaning lady. (okay there are a little older than 20 something but still)

    And how is he getting women to stay in his room?

    I hope you find a new place soon. Homeslice sounds unstable. True I am a clean freak but even if I wasn't that level of rudeness is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ann-- my friends are flying in from the States, there wasn't an option of canceling their visit. And if it were a simple as just moving out I would have done it long ago.

    NYC-- lol no idea where this dude is from. He's in his 30s though, that's the sad part! I'm sure his mom just coddled him a bit too much, he can't even fathom picking up after himself. As for the girls, who knows. Though I did just find out his "official gf" is 19 :o/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sak Passe Stacy!!

    Okay - The minute I saw your sentence about the feces I just had to stop reading. That is so so gross. I am so sorry you have to deal with that knuckle head.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol its just a mess. But for some reason he's been away for the past week and I've had a nice clean place to myself! I've seen him once when he came to pick up more clothes and the he left again. Hallelujah! Lets hope he stays gone :)

    ReplyDelete